Thursday, May 17, 2007

I've been taken behind the woodshed !

Billy Buffam did it to me sooo many times in high school, my buttocks are still bruised .... and for the first time since my SFDCI days ... it's happened again. In my post here, a commentor chose to ignore the issue at hand and instead chastise me for my "less-than-perfect" command of the written word.....

"Richard Day said... I hate to point out that, in common English usage, the apostrophe in "Einstein's" is rather out of place. Someone with a really big IQ would be unlikely to make a mistake like that!"


Now, I've never professed to have a "really big iq" ... better than your average redneck, but certainly not "really big"....

My response was that use of the written word was not my occupation.. and as such, I'm an amateur ... bound to and should be excused for making slight errors. If the commentor were to return, I'd like to ask if he can make hide or hair of the following statement ... if he can, he's more than welcome to return and criticize my English skills anytime ...

" I'm gettin' BPV's on the DS1 ... I'm thinking it's the modulator on the MDR6000, causing trouble with the 64 QAM,DQPSK signal"

I think i'm safe ... and yes, the statement makes perfect sense to me.

But this brings up another point ... feel free to comment here, even if your written English is not perfect ... I have friends who visit that refuse to comment as English is not their first language and are shy, as they do not articulate as well on paper as they do vocally. I wish they would.

I promise not to criticize you ... that is ... unless you have a masters degree, work as a manager in the government, no wait ...Library and Archives Canada, embark on a media campaign against a charitable institution and then make basic grammatical mistakes in a press release.

4 comments:

glenda said...

Richard mabe has good grammer but as a blogger he aint too proliffic.

Anonymous said...

Taken to the woodshed eh? Too bad they were too chicken to make an intellectual comment about the actual content in the article instead of pointing out a typing mistake. I'm sure that spell checking software makes them think that they have English skills. Right back at 'em !! Oh my, is the apostrophe in that last sentence in the right place? I'm afraid that someone might notice. (please note the sarcasm)

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to this guy, your doing a good job, us tech's have to sitck together...

I hope that my grammer was ok to all who read this post...

Mike said...

Ahhh ... now it makes complete sense ..

Richard Day is an anarchist activist and scholar based in Kingston, Ontario. He teaches at Queen’s University ....