Monday, March 19, 2007

This is not startin' out so hot

After 80 mins 37 secs ... I think Sympatico has figured out just what I need ... where I need it.

The telemarketing firm that called Friday had me signed up for DSL Basic Lite 256k, better than dial-up, but not high-speed either. I was wondering why it was only $25, and asked the specific question "This is not Ultra-lite is it ??" Obviously the ultra part threw her off... her answer was no.

Anyhow, my call was initially answered by tech support, the gentlemen tested my line and found it sufficient to qualify me for DSL Basic. $35/mo. 1 Mbps. Fine. He sold me on a wireless router and then told me he was sending it to my old address.

Uh-oh.

Is this the address my modem is going to as well ??

"I don't know, sir. What is your new address ??"

blala rd ... Smiths Falls..

How do you spell that ??

Huh ?? Are you in Canada ?? Haven't you heard of the Hershey plant ?

"Uh, well no sir, don't be shocked, I'm in INDIA."

E'nuff said.

"Let me transfer you to Customer Service to change the address."

After a 20 min wait on hold, I got through. First off, are you in Canada ??

This guy knew his stuff ... but he had to undo everything the guy in India did with my account... it was messed up that bad.

So, after some polite negotiation, I ended up with DSL Basic, $35 month, unlimited bandwidth. There was supposed to be a 4 gb cap, but I got it to unlimited for signing a 1 yr contract.

This modem should arrive Friday. We'll see.

1 comment:

Clive said...

Ah yes, Sympatico High Speed customer service... a fond memory from my days in the Glebe. Good luck with that. Great technology, shame about the people.