Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sundogs & rednecks

This morning, as Lowell pointed out to his listeners, a "sundog" appeared over the Ottawa sky. Despite my curiosity for all things weather & space, I've never heard of or seen this phenomenon. Wikipedia defines it as this ..

"A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion) is a relatively common atmospheric optical phenomenon associated with the refraction of sunlight by small ice crystals that make up cirrus or cirrostratus clouds."

Since my attention was drawn to the subject, I thought I'd share some pretty cool links ...

Ever wonder what is flying around up above us ... on this site you can identify satellites flying overhead in real time... On a dark summer night, I'm sure I've seen some of them going by... including Russian spy satellites.

Tony Darnel "The Redneck Astronomer" has a great site full of info for the novice and intermediate star-gazer. He has directed an excellent video, posted on YouTube, entitled The Hubble Deep Field: The Most Important Image Ever Taken. Very cool, especially since the soundtrack starts with Pink Floyd's "Shine on You Crazy Diamond."


No comments: