Sunday, March 11, 2007

Don't they deserve better ?




This week's EMC brings a story about a Thursday deadline for signing a petition on behalf of Broadview Nursing home in Smiths Falls. Seems the home is in desperate need of renovation after 40 years of service to our community. The issue is near and dear to me as this is where my grandmother spent her last years following a stroke. In my visits I noticed only extremely good care offered by a dedicated and compassionate staff, in fact many attended her funeral.

"The key issue affecting the home..... is the approval of licencing in only 15 year increments when this service has historically been given a perpetual licence with annual contract agreements."

This is evidently tying up bank financing for the renovations.

Please, don't tell me I live in a land where the comfort and care of our seniors is being compromised by licencing and finance issues. Say it ain't so.

I'd rather live in a country where the contributions to our society by these people is honoured and respected. Rewarded by the knowledge that if you find yourself in need of this type of care it is available and dignified.

Please visit the OLTCA and voice your support for this worthwhile effort. It's important.

While I commend the EMC for the lengthy piece on this ... I have to wonder why the front page is graced with the announcement of a play at the high school and this story is on pg. 6 of the second section ??

No comments: