Friday, March 16, 2007

Smiths Falls This Week goes online !

One of our local newspapers has finally decided to get with the late 20th century and make it's jump to the online world.

In case you missed the full-page ad in today's edition of Smiths Falls This Week, Runge Publishing has made it's family of local community newspapers (including back issues !) available on the web. While I'm not a particular fan of the format (pdf's of entire editions, as opposed to ordinary html publishing), this is a good step forward. Going the pdf route makes searching next to impossible, and the files are in the 8 Mb range so you'll have to be patient if you stuck on dial-up. I suppose that goes without saying, you are patient if stuck on dial-up ! Like me, sometimes.

Can The Reckless be far behind ?? I really like the competition between the two .. there's even some hard news sneaking into the EMC lately, making The Reckless somewhat close to a bi-weekly.

Simply go to runge.net and sign up for a free username & password.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Link to Runge gives Mozilla Firefox a 404 Error.

Problem here, perhaps?

Mike said...

Thanks anon --

It was my error, fixed now... someday i'll learn to check the links !

Mike said...

The site is down right now though ... I went through from a google search, and it still didn't work !

Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to get it to work for some time now. I wanted to link up to the Carleton Place area Weekender but no luck.

Mike, the high speed from sympatico, is it $25 a month for unlimited?

Mike said...

Cat Lover -

I posted my answer in the Big news post...

I still can't get on to the Runge site.

Mike said...

It looks like you NEED high speed, I was on the site w/ high speed today, can't do it via dial-up ... now that's really dumb.