Monday, March 26, 2007

Is there a doctor shortage ?

Apparently not ...

A little late off the mark on this ... The Mar 22 edition of the R&T has this story ... here's the title ..

"Smiths Falls delving into MD recruitment, councillor says town"

Anyway, it raises some important points to me .... I did not know this:

Last year, the municipality had its bid to be declared an underserviced area in terms of access to family doctors turned down by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.

Underserviced designation qualifies a municipality for incentive programs to bolster efforts to lure new doctors, including financial assistance for recent medical school graduates to open a practice.

The ministry declined the application, pointing out the region, including Perth, Rideau Lakes and Merrickville-Wolford, has 31 doctors - the exact number it should have based on its population.

I thought it was difficult to find a doctor in the area ... I'm fortunate, I've had the same one all my life, until his passing about 4 years ago, another GP took his practise over. Thankfully, haven't needed them all that much. Knock on wood ... hard. "My ladies" all go to another GP.

I'm blogging tonight from beautiful downtown Mississauga (sic), stuck here as an obligation to my employer. I'm wondering .... Does a doctor get paid the same per service if he's in Ottawa, North Bay, Smiths Falls or TO ???

If they do ... I gotta wonder what the hell goes through someone's mind to choose this s$%thole of a city over say living on the Big Rideau for the same price for a house?????? No traffic jams. Re-developed hospital coming.

Doesn't seem like a tough pick to me.

2 comments:

Clive said...

Enough doctors??? I guess that's why my wife had to spend three weeks telephoning every single medical practice in a 100km radius when she got pregnant, trying to find a family doctor, rather than do pregnancy-by-emergency-room. Most said no outright. Four or five said they'd call back, but either never did or called back to say no. One took pity on her and remains her family doctor - in Bells Corners in Ottawa.

Enough doctors in Lanark-Leeds Grenville? I don't think so.

Mike said...

That's what I thought Clive ....