Saturday, June 30, 2007

This man ....



...was born in Belfast in 1789. Somewhere around 1805 made his way to Glasgow. There he married and had the first of four children. In April 1820, driven by poverty and a bleak future, he and his young family took a very bold step and decided to make their way to the "new country". They boarded the good ship Commerce and a fortnight later landed at the Port of Prescott.

From there, they made their way up a newly formed trail to the wilderness of Northern Lanark County. For his efforts and loyalty, he received 50 acres of scrub bush from HMTK George V to build a new life. In the ensuing years he managed to acquire 500 acres from other settlers from the Lanarkshire area who "gave up" and went to greener pastures (namely the US & western provinces). So successful was he that the road leading into said property bears his surname.

Now, given that this man is my 3rd great-grandfather ....I'm wondering why I'm not considered native. There was nothing on this granted land ... nothing for miles around. Native sightings in the area were very rare. We know this as encounters with the "red man" were well documented, as the "society settlers" were deathly afraid of them after hearing stories of atrocities committed against settlers in the American mid-west.

With this in mind, I'm staking my own claim. Right here .... right now.

I even have the paperwork to support my claim. I hold the land grant which states that the land was to remain with "his heirs and successors forever". Given that I am his only male successor still breathing, I figure it's mine. And I want it back. I don't care what has happened in the ensuing two centuries with this property.... My family had a deal with the Crown... somebody screwed me.

Sounds ridiculous, right ??

So does this.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

How much more does the government have to give these people. They already have the best deal of all Canadians, they pay no tax no sales tax no income tax and the goverment hands out billions to them each year. It is time that all governments get a back bone and stand up to them.

You know if it was you or I blocking the 401 on Friday we would have enjoyed a nice weekend in jail...

Mike said...

You forgot free post-secondary education, first crack at government jobs ... etc.

Kathy Shaidle wants to give them each a million $$ to go away.

I say you wanna rewind 200 years ?? Give 'em Algonquin Park

Done. That's it, that's all.

Otherwise.... assimilate with the rest of us.